The APA (Allocation Personnalisée dAutonomie, or independence social allowance) is a means-tested grant calculated based on your level of independence. It is paid out by the General Council.


– You must be 60 or over.

– You must be facing independence issues (GIR 1 to 4).

– You must be a stable and regular resident in France.

You can pick up an application form from the département‘s General Council, town halls, and welfare, medical or social security offices.

For permanent residents:

You’ll need to send your application for APA to the General Council responsible for your residence.

Your application will be reviewed and a response issued by the president of the General Council. You will receive a response within two months of submitting your application. After this time-frame, the APA is assumed to have been granted.

APA amounts are based on applicants’ needs (GIR) and income.

For temporary residents:

Generally speaking, home APA will continue to be paid.

Tax allowances

Independence-related costs and accommodation expenses are tax deductible, as the establishment is signatory to a tripartite agreement. This takes the shape of a compulsory contract signed by the département‘s General Council, the ARS (Agence Régionale de Santé, regional healthcare authority) and the establishment. The agreement is a stringent, personalised contract that governs how the establishment operates. Each residence has its own agreement, which sets out the rights enjoyed by residents and their families, accommodation and information conditions, quality of care, events and activities provided, everyday support, the level of comfort provided by the establishment and, where applicable, improvements to be made. The agreement is signed by the President of the General Council and the health insurance provider. This reduction applies irrespective of age and personal circumstances.

The reduction is equal to 25% of amounts paid up to €10,000 per year, meaning a maximum €2,500 reduction per person and per year, either for the resident or for the family paying for the resident’s accommodation.


Elderly residents of retirement homes are eligible for the APL (Aide Personnalisée au Logement, housing benefits). The amount of APL an individual can receive is assessed based on the elderly person’s income, the cost of the residence’s accommodation and its location.

To be granted APL, you will need to apply to the Caisse d’Allocations Familiales (CAF). The proof of residence form will need to be submitted to the establishment to be filled in.